I'm still chasing beautiful greens for my naturally dyed wool. When iron is added to wool that has been dyed with oxalis, it's supposed to give shades of green. I emphasise supposed because I'm still not getting green. In my first experiment I used the wrong additive (bicarb) and got reddy browns instead of the greens I was expecting. Oops!
I was hoping this time I would be successful as I was using the right additive for the oxalis dyed wool but as you can see from the photo, it didn't work.
It could be because I'm using iron capsules instead of tablets. My capsules have other ingredients in them which also could be the problem. I also have no idea of how strong to make the iron solution so I've been playing with different strengths. I did discover that when you have a lot of iron and not much water, the solution is a deep purple colour and stains the wool a blue-/black.
Or it could be because I'm not following the instructions I was given! Specifically, I was told to soak the wool in the oxalis solution for an hour and then use the iron solution. In my dyeing experience, the longer you leave your material in the dye, the stronger the colour. So I left mine overnight. Next time I'll try leaving it for an hour and seeing what happens.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I'm determined to get it right before the oxalis plants stop flowering. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!